Saturday 4 June 2011

Tip #120: Wounds and misinterpretation

What is your hero’s wound?The hero has a wound or source of pain from his past that he has suppressed but has never really dealt with.

What is your hero’s belief?Out of the hero’s wound comes a (usually mistaken) belief such as: I’m worthless (Will in Goodwill Hunting), I won’t survive without a rich man to take care of me (Rose in Titanic), if I show people my true self, I will be rejected (Shrek in Shrek) or, if I live as my true self, I will die (Ennis in Brokeback Mountain).

What is your hero’s identity?The hero’s identity is the false self that they present to the world in order to protect themselves from re-experiencing the wound.

What is your hero’s essence?The hero’s essence is what’s left if the identity is dropped, the hero’s true self.

http://lenacoakley.com/2011/05/michael-hauge—a-different-way-of-thinking-about-character-development/

The "wound" doesn't have to be a big thing, it's the character's interpretation that is interesting and very very human.

No comments:

Post a Comment